Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Music Therapy

Until recently, I didn't fully appreciate the medicinal effects of Christian music. From my Social Work background I knew music was an accepted therapy for depression, but over the years I'd dismissed it as fun and recreation. When I realized its powerful influence on my emotions, I bumped it to the top of my list of home remedies.

Now when I'm depressed I crank up the worship music. At first its cheery cadence tends to rub me the wrong way. But gradually, as I persevere, my soul's rhythm begins to resonate with the music. The pulsing beat pushes my beleaguered heart to beat faster until the two tempos are in sync.

When I'm anxious, the same music slows the pitter patter of my heart to a slower, calmer beat. Its steady pace persistently coaxes me to relax. Let go, let go, it urges as it gently massages away tension.

The soothing melodies caress my soul, quieting and comforting me like the touch of a friend. Each chord's strum brings a measure of relief to my aching heart.

But the real power comes through the words. When I'm upset, I have a hard time seeing past my problems and hurts. Christian worship lyrics urge me to release control to God. They sing of his glory and power, reminding me the Creator and Lord of all can easily handle my situation. Tender words reassure me of God's love and desire to help. This music helps shift my focus from myself to my Savior, compelling me to surrender and trust.

Worship music ushers me into God's presence. In that safe place fear and dismay disappear. The oppressive heaviness also lifts, leaving me feeling weightless and free. There I experience an intimate closeness with God, a direct connection between his heart and mine. I can now receive his full comfort, direction and healing. I have unencumbered access to God's strength.

Sipping Christian music occasionally while driving in my car is not enough. I decided to drink the whole glass of this marvelous elixir by listening to it every day. When I need a mood adjustment, I purposefully play the worship songs that draw me into the Great Physician's throne room. Throughout my day, Christian music helps equalize my emotions and sooths my soul.

0 comments:

Post a Comment